I do really like knitting larger projects. I thought the DROPS Design Cabled Dress is really cute so I just had to make it. I got the wool from the New Lanark Online Shop, it is Aran weight Donegal Silk Tweed, colourway Loveage. The Donegal Silk Tweek is 10% Silk and 90% Pure New Wool, the colour is a very very pale green, slightly sagey, with blue flecks. It was ok to knit with, it felt a bit rough tho. The first time i knit with Silk content, but I expected it to be softer, but I’ve read that it goes softer over time and when you wash it. I’ve finished it today and i’ve been wearing it the whole day, I think it is feeling a bit softer already. I do love the colour!
I’m normally a UK size 12, so i started the dress in Medium, but after 15cm i figured that that is a bit too wide. So I started all over again and cast on for a size S – much better! It fits great, the M would have been a bit too saggy. My bumm stretches the pattern slightly so that the cables are nice and open but not too stretched. I haven’t soaked and blocked yet, i’m a bit worried i might stretch it out a bit too much! It fits great just now, so fingers crossed it stays like that when i h eventually will have to wash it.
Knitting was ok, very easy, slightly boring. I couldn’t wait to finish the cables and just have rib pattern, i was getting slightly sick of the cables and they did slow me down quite a bit. I got nice brown wooden buttons to fix the straps.
There is one thing i am wondering about (the photo of the FO does not reflect any of this): how is it, that knitted garments (this dress, sweaters, another knit dress i have) ALWAYS make my boobs look tiny, but make my tummy stand out? Is anybody else noticing that? I mean i don’t have a big belly, I’m just not 20 anymore. But when i wear that dress for example, i need to put tummy-tuck-panties on. Otherwise i do look 7 months pregnant – or i have to seriously suck it in all the time. … Ah I still like the dress 😀
Cute and fast Dicebag pattern, whipped up in two days with dropspindle-practice leftovers. Nice soft Merino yarn, thick and thin (altho not intended when spinning, haha) in purples and greens. It’s gonnna hang on my Kiwi to keep my oil and stuff in 😀
Knitted a three-stitch i-cord drawstring and the toggle like in the instructions.
Posted in Projects
Tagged bag, Knitting
Oh i treated myself! I went to a spinning on the wheel-course last weekend and i soooo loved it! i am absolutely hooked! I’ve been dropspindling for the last few months, i do like it as well, but spinning on a wheel is just a huge difference. I knew i had to get one. So here I am, proud owner of my first spinning wheel, an Ashford Kiwi! And Oh, I am soooooo excited!
But good things have to wait. I have learned that it is best to finish the wood or the spinning wheel. There are quite a few options for how to finish the wood: wax, all different kinds of oils, wood stains, lacquers and varnishes. It was a difficult decision. i found a link with lots of info how people finished their Asford wheels which helped me a little. Also I’ve seen some beautifully painted ones, lots of beautiful ones in the Ravelry Kiwi group, but i’m still too much of a WHUSS to do that. So i decided to go for a plain natural Danish Oil finish and maybe top it with a layer of wax for a little bit of shine. From a homeware shop i got the Danish oil, turps, sandpaper, steel wool and a brush for 20 quid. Some old newspaper and ready i was!
The wheel was there when i got home from work on Thursday. I sanded the parts a little bit, just to take of sharp edges, wiped them with a cloth with a little bit of turps and when they were dry i put on the first coat of oil. I let it for about 15-20 minutes and then wiped off any excess oil with a soft cloth before it got sticky. I was slightly worried that since the wheel is not pure wood but MDF it might take a slightly different colour. But internet said it is ok to oil MDF so i put a coat onto that too. The result is slightly nauseating because now the wheel has some ugly dark yellowish colour and looks worse than before – i’ll have to paint it sometime cause i can’t stand the ugly yellow, but not for now, now i can’t wait to get spinning. Also the centre beam seems to be slightly different, the wood is much redder than all the other parts. Oh well. Friday morning i sanded the pieces again with a very fine 600 paper and added a second coat of Danish Oil, let it sit, wiped it off. Friday evening i polished all the parts with some fine steel wool and then i rubbed in a nice layer of Antiquax to get it a bit shiny and assembled it – finally! The instructions were a bit IKEA like (a word or two sometimes would not have done any harm at all), but i managed. And here we go:
My lovely BF made me a Niddy Noddy from PVC pipes. Luckily i got the pipes from his dad who had them in his shed. When i checked in the british DIY and home improvement retailer with the orange sign, i nearly collapsed when i saw the prices for 22mm PVC pipes and two Tees. Buying a new wooden Niddy Noddy would have actually been cheaper! well, nearly. But oh well, that is twenty quid saved that go into my spinning wheel-savings account 🙂
The measurements are for the centre piece 41cm(16inch) including the tees. That gives me a length of 1.70m for the skein, about 1.8yards. It is a bit on the longer side but i like the skein it makes better when it’s longer. The side pieces are about 6cm each, so the total width of them including the Tees is 33cm (13inch). It is a bit wide, it is not too handy to wind the yarn onto it so i might shorten them a bit. I’ll have to see how it goes.