Monthly Archives: November 2010

FO hanspun BFL green plums

handspun handdyed green plums

Thsi time I was quite fast spinning up the BFL that I had dyed with Acid dyes previously. I do tent to get my default yarn, which is about worsted weight, perfect for another Thorpe hat for my flute teacher. it is nice and bouncy, I’m happy with the outcome. I still cannot spin the singles even enough. It looks ok, but I do for exaple split the roving in exactly two parts and i start from the same ends, but I still don’t get the different coloured spaces together. I’ll have to practice more.

Advertisements

FO crochet basket

I finished the crochet basket, my new wip-basket/bag. I used two strands of fingering weight acrylic wool and a 5mm crochet hook. i made the bottom disc first, then the container walls and the included handles. the diameter is about 25cm (10in). height about 20cm (8in) to the handles. right after crocheting it was quite sturdy, but not too nicely shaped, the bottom was quite wavy, so I tried to slightly block it. I should not have done it, because now it is just soft and floppy and does not stand on its own anymore. Oh well, i just have to fill it up with big WIPs. It did use quite a lot of yarn tho, at least it did burn some stash.

crochet basket for wips

Finished crochet basket/bag

 

Handdyed BFL “green plums”

I oven-dyed some BFL roving with Acid Dyes – my first try with Acid Dyes 🙂

I mixed red from yellow and magenta, purple from magenta and midblue, and green from yellow and turquoise. The green turned into yellow unfortunately because the turquoise washed off completely. I Put the presoaked roving into the glass dish, mixed the colours first in a smaller volume of water containing mordant and then diluted it some more in water with mordant. I’m using Kenanthrol Acid Milling dye and Ammonium Sulfate as mordant (3g/L). Then in the oven, covered with tinfoil, 30 mins @ 180°C, i could see it boiling in the oven. After taking it out I left it to cool, then rinsed it in warm water (that was when nearly all the green came washed out, altho all the other colours were nicely fixed, the turquoise seemed to have issues).

I’m very happy with the results, apart from the nearly totally disappeared green. I’d love to use it for another Thorpe hat as a Christmas present for my flute teacher, so I better get going 🙂

The dyed roving coming out of the oven

dried and rolled up

and braided

Handspun onion wool

2-ply BFL dyed with onion Skin

I finally spun the nice BFL I had kettle-dyed with the onion skins a while ago. I was quite surprised how nice the colour came out, and now that it is spun into a nice and lofty 2-ply about worsted-weight yarn I like it even more. the BFL of course is beautifully soft and the whole yarn has a slight shine to it. I have no idea yet, what I’m gonna do with it tho.

WIP Wednesday nov 17

Still on a mission to get rid of some stash. I’m not too inspired tho…

I’m crocheting a round basket-like thingy to keep my knitting project in, so my stuff is not lying all over the place on the couch and wherever else, and also that it is easier for me to carry them from one couch to the other. Acrylic yarn white and greenish two strands together on a crochet hook 5mm to make it nice and tight and stable should get rid of some wool.

WIP: WIP basket/bag

FO: Granny-style Tea Cozy

I love how it turned out. I have to admit I hated to knit it, but I had to keep going because I so wanted it to be finished. So I knitted like mad. I still think the colours look like a football strip (from the seventies), but I love it. And it really does keep the tea warm.

For the flower on top I only made one big one with tow strands held together and then I added a little I-cord loop.

Again, the pattern can be found here.

Tea Cozy in morning sun

Tea Cozy with flower on top

WIP Wednesday nov 10

Granny Tea Cozy WIP1

Granny-style Tea Cozy to use some of the stash. Got lots of random acrylic wool 4ply-DK I want to get rid off but don’t want to throw it out. Wasn’t too sure about the colour combination when I started, but now I’m quite ok with it. I finished the first half, quite tedious knit, takes longer than it looks like, uses more wool than i thought, need to keep three strands untangled, quite different but I really like how it comes out.

Franny Tea Cozy WIP2: One half done!


Morning Surf Scarf with my KoolAid Handdyed Handspun lace/light fingering yarn is coming on very slow. Like the pattern, but the dropped stitch rows seem to take ages. About 40cm/16in done. Thinking of hibernate this until I have nothing else to do.

Morning Surf WIP