… and never took so long! Oh goodness, over 560 stitches took me ages! But now I’m finally done! All blocked, all dry – and oh how I love the shawl. I like how the colours came together, altho I had estimated that I’d only get a pink strip and some more grey at the edge. But it needed less yarn and so I got the nice pink edge. I needed in total about 150grams of 2-ply sport weight merino yarn from Yarnundyed.co.uk, knitted on 4.5mm needles, ovendyed a while ago for this project.
Whippoorwill is a great pattern, very easy to follow. Instructions for three different sizes, all with the correct stitch numbers, lacy pattern in written instructions as well as in charts.
It would be quite interesting to have a total stitch count. I only know that they were enough stitches to wipe out the little numbers that tell you the needlesize!
Oh that damn Whippoorwill shawl! I was nearly done when I noticed that I had made a mistake 5 or 6 rows below! For some reason I must have purled about 30 stitches instead of knitted them! Nooooo! So I had to unravel about 3000 stitches and I got to knit them again. Knitting them was hard work, but unravelling them was torture and much slower than knitting them. Sigh. I think I must be a very masochistic knitter 😉
WIP Whipporwill before unravelling 6 rows
Finally i got the little vest for the BF’s nephew finished. I don’t really like knitting for babies and children to be honest. Since I don’t have any of my own, I have no idea about the dimensions and sizes and fits and so on. That is why I liked the DROPS design pattern, it gives me measurements in cms. Not that I ended up with those measurements of course, but at least I get the idea.
Instead of the recommended Alpaca I used some Karisma superwash DK wool I still had left in my stash’ light olive green, perfect colour for a little boy. He is about 7 months by now, so I went for the 6-9 months size. It was ok to knit up, only the necklines are a bit annoying. You have to pick up stitches for the neckline, knit 4 or 5 rounds, bind off, pick up stitches for the left shoulder, knit four or five rounds, bind off, pick up stitches for the right shoulder, knit four or five rounds, bind off. And that to me, who hates to sew in ends. Oh well, I still like it. Altho it turned out quite bigger than the size I tried to get. I could block it into proportions of the next bigger size, he’ll grow into it. I haven’t given it away yet, but I hope they’ll like it too.
Little Cabled Vest FO
Now with the yarn all dyed I of course could not wait to get started on the Whippoorwill shawl. I love how they wool came out with the colours. And it feels marvellously soft, too.
I’m at about 370 stitches per row, it is torture!
My mum has a lot of earrings, and they are all scattered over or piled in a big goblet-like glass, she keeps losing them and if she finds a pair they are all tangled up. So I made her for christmas a Knitted Lace Jewellery Frame (instructions for knitted and crocheted pattern). I got the frame on ebay, it is about 40cmx20cm, I love the gold on it. I had some reddish Berocco Sox Metallic left which I used. It also has some golden glittery bits in it. It is a straight forward drop stitch pattern, very fast to make up. I made the waves in the pattern go horizontally, altho now that I look at it I wish I had done it vertically to be able to hang it up vertically. Oh well. I Mounted the webbing on a light green cardboard and put it back into the frame. Hope she’ll like it. I’m gonna make her some earrings as well so she’ll be getting something to hang onto it, too.
Thorpe hat for MC
Oh I loved my Thorpe hat so much, I made another one, this time for my flute teacher. She said she really liked mine, so I made this one for her. I am slightly nervous. It is the first time that I knit something for somebody else apart from my family, and that would be pretty much my mum only anyway. Oh, and my little 5-year-old nephew for whom I made this really cool norwegian jumper with pirate-like skull and crossbones instead of the stars last christmas, but his mother put it in the very bottom of his dresser so tells me my mum, so no more handknitted stuff for that part of the family, but that is another story. So, I am slightly nervous, I hope she’ll like it. I used the BFL that I had dyed with acid dyes and spun on my wheel earlier. It was 100g of my default worsted-weightish, and I ran out! well, not too bad actually, the earflaps are both maybe 5-6 rows shorter, but it does not matter too much. I looove the colours and how it came out. My teacher wears a lot of purple, so I think that might suit her. Gotta wait another two weeks until it is close enough to Christmas so i can give it to her.
Still on a mission to get rid of some stash. I’m not too inspired tho…
I’m crocheting a round basket-like thingy to keep my knitting project in, so my stuff is not lying all over the place on the couch and wherever else, and also that it is easier for me to carry them from one couch to the other. Acrylic yarn white and greenish two strands together on a crochet hook 5mm to make it nice and tight and stable should get rid of some wool.
WIP: WIP basket/bag
Posted in Projects