Category Archives: Spinning

FO Another Thorpe

Thorpe hat for MC

Oh I loved my Thorpe hat so much, I made another one, this time for my flute teacher. She said she really liked mine, so I made this one for her. I am slightly nervous. It is the first time that I knit something for somebody else apart from my family, and that would be pretty much my mum only anyway. Oh, and my little 5-year-old nephew for whom I made this really cool norwegian jumper with pirate-like skull and crossbones instead of the stars last christmas, but his mother put it in the very bottom of his dresser so tells me my mum, so no more handknitted stuff for that part of the family, but that is another story. So, I am slightly nervous, I hope she’ll like it. I used the BFL that I had dyed with acid dyes and spun on my wheel earlier. It was 100g of my default worsted-weightish, and I ran out! well, not too bad actually, the earflaps are both maybe 5-6 rows shorter, but it does not matter too much. I looove the colours and how it came out. My teacher wears a lot of purple, so I think that might suit her. Gotta wait another two weeks until it is close enough to Christmas so i can give it to her.

FO hanspun BFL green plums

handspun handdyed green plums

Thsi time I was quite fast spinning up the BFL that I had dyed with Acid dyes previously. I do tent to get my default yarn, which is about worsted weight, perfect for another Thorpe hat for my flute teacher. it is nice and bouncy, I’m happy with the outcome. I still cannot spin the singles even enough. It looks ok, but I do for exaple split the roving in exactly two parts and i start from the same ends, but I still don’t get the different coloured spaces together. I’ll have to practice more.

Handspun onion wool

2-ply BFL dyed with onion Skin

I finally spun the nice BFL I had kettle-dyed with the onion skins a while ago. I was quite surprised how nice the colour came out, and now that it is spun into a nice and lofty 2-ply about worsted-weight yarn I like it even more. the BFL of course is beautifully soft and the whole yarn has a slight shine to it. I have no idea yet, what I’m gonna do with it tho.

My Wheel! My lovely new Wheel!

Oh i treated myself! I went to a spinning on the wheel-course last weekend and i soooo loved it! i am absolutely hooked! I’ve been dropspindling for the last few months, i do like it as well, but spinning on a wheel is just a huge difference. I knew i had to get one. So here I am, proud owner of my first spinning wheel, an Ashford Kiwi! And Oh, I am soooooo excited!

But good things have to wait. I have learned that it is best to finish the wood or the spinning wheel. There are quite a few options for how to finish the wood: wax, all different kinds of oils, wood stains, lacquers and varnishes. It was a difficult decision. i found a link with lots of info how people finished their Asford wheels which helped me a little.  Also I’ve seen some beautifully painted ones, lots of beautiful ones in the Ravelry Kiwi group, but i’m still too much of a WHUSS to do that.  So i decided to go for a plain natural Danish Oil finish and maybe top it with a layer of wax for a little bit of shine. From a homeware shop i got the Danish oil, turps, sandpaper, steel wool and a brush for 20 quid. Some old newspaper and ready i was!

The wheel was there when i got home from work on Thursday. I sanded the parts a little bit, just to take of sharp edges, wiped them with a cloth with a little bit of turps and when they were dry i put on the first coat of oil. I let it  for about 15-20 minutes and then wiped off any excess oil with a soft cloth before it got sticky. I was slightly worried that since the wheel is not pure wood but MDF it might take a slightly different colour. But internet said it is ok to oil MDF so i put a coat onto that too. The result is slightly nauseating because now the wheel has some ugly dark yellowish colour and looks worse than before – i’ll have to paint it sometime cause i can’t stand the ugly yellow, but not for now, now i can’t wait to get spinning. Also the centre beam seems to be slightly different, the wood is much redder than all the other parts. Oh well. Friday morning i sanded the pieces again with a very fine 600 paper and added a second coat of Danish Oil, let it sit, wiped it off.  Friday evening i polished all the parts with some fine steel wool and then i rubbed in a nice layer of Antiquax to get it a bit shiny and assembled it – finally! The instructions were a bit IKEA like (a word or two sometimes would not have done any harm at all), but i managed. And here we go:

Homemade Niddy Noddy

My lovely BF made me a Niddy Noddy from PVC pipes. Luckily i got the pipes from his dad who had them in his shed. When i checked in the british DIY and home improvement retailer with the orange sign, i nearly collapsed when i saw the prices for 22mm PVC pipes and two Tees. Buying a new wooden Niddy Noddy would have actually been cheaper! well, nearly. But oh well, that is twenty quid saved that go into my spinning wheel-savings account 🙂

The measurements are for the centre piece 41cm(16inch) including the tees.  That gives me a length of 1.70m for the skein, about 1.8yards. It is a bit on the longer side but i like the skein it makes better when it’s longer. The side pieces are about 6cm each, so the total width of them including the Tees is 33cm (13inch). It is a bit wide, it is not too handy to wind the yarn onto it so i might shorten them a bit. I’ll have to see how it goes.